Jean and Bob Each Taking Steps To Ensure Their Passage Over The Irish Sea Goes Well.
Jean Says: Ireland's large land mass protects the Irish Sea from the big Atlantic swell, but because it's relatively shallow, and has strong tides, the result is something known as The Irish Sea Chop, a short steep sea, which can be uncomfortable, and has the ability to leave your boat wallowing in the troughs and unable to gain momentum (except if your boat is called Bella Rosa the wonder boat).
It's not been a difficult decision to stay put for the past four days, because the weather down the length of the Irish Sea has undoubtedly been unpleasant. Surprisingly, we're not the only visitors here in the marina, there are several others who arrived at the same time as us, and none of them have left. If we'd known this earlier, we could have set up a small support group.
The first real glimmer of hope is on Tuesday when, later in the day, the winds finally die down, and the nasty dark red swirly bits on the weather charts will be at a safe enough distance for us to cross the Irish Sea on Wednesday, with some peace of mind.
We kept changing our minds about where we wanted to go first, but settled for Kilmore Quay, which is just West of the South East corner of Southern Ireland. We phoned the Harbour Master at Kilmore to check that there would be an available berth. He asked us whether we'd been there before, and when we said no, he said, "well what took you so long"! Quote the Irish Sea Pilot book, "the Quarter Deck fish and chip shop is outstanding, and the Silver Fox seafood restaurant is highly recommended". We love the place already. Our friends Mary and Martin, who a number of you know, are coming up from Waterford to see us Wednesday evening. We haven't seen them for a few years so lots to catch up on.
As soon as the winds die tomorrow lunchtime, we're going to leave the marina and head up to Dale, a relatively sheltered small bay at the mouth of the Milford Haven Harbour, where we can slip off the mooring buoy early on Wednesday morning, and head West with the wind behind us.
Bob has had to resort to taking a course of antibiotics because he's got an abscess on his gum. This is disconcerting news, as he will have to give up the booze for seven days, just when we're about to sail to the land of Guinness and Jamesons. His perspective on Ireland is going to be very different from the last time we went. I have tried to console him by saying that I will hold the fort, and will represent both of us on that front.